By Keelen Barlow
The Brownsburg varsity girls' basketball team will head to Decatur Central this Saturday for IHSAA Girls' Basketball Regional 3. The Bulldogs will take on New Palestine for a trip to the IHSAA Regional Final on Saturday night. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m.
Lawrence North will play Ben Davis at 10 a.m. in the first game of the day. The winner will meet the Brownsburg/New Pal winner for the Regional title at 8 p.m. tomorrow night.
Brownsburg comes into the Regional with a 20-8 record.
- Brownsburg defeated Mooresville, Terre Haute South and Avon last week en route to its third IHSAA Sectional championship in the last four years
- The Bulldogs' win over Avon was their 20th of the 2019-2020 season; this year is the 8th 20-win season in program history
- The Bulldogs win over Avon was the program's 21st consecutive victory over the Orioles; Avon last defeated Brownsburg during the 2007-2008 season.
- Brownsburg has the lowest defensive average of any team at the Decatur Central regional; the Bulldogs allow opponents an average of 41.5 points per game
- Ally Becki needs just one point on Saturday to reach the 300-point mark for the 2019-2020 season; Becki is 13 points away from reaching the 900-point mark for her career
- Becki, Allison Bosse and Mackenzie Stien combined for 79 percent of Brownsburg's scoring during their run to the Sectional title last week
About New Palestine
The Dragons come into the Decatur Central Regional with an 18-7 record this year (6-1 in Hoosier Heritage Conference). New Pal is making its second trip to the Regional in the last three seasons. The Dragons defeated Mount Vernon, Pendleton Heights and Anderson en route to a Sectional title at Richmond High School last weekend.
New Pal is led by three double-figure scorers in 5-foot-10 senior Jordan Reid (14.2 ppg), 5-foot-6 freshman Isabella Gizzi (11.1 ppg) and 5-foot-8 senior Michaela Jones (10.0 ppg).
About Lawrence North
The Wildcats are 22-4 heading into the Decatur Central Regional this weekend (6-1 in Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference). Lawrence North opened their campaign 19-0 but stumbled losing four of five to close the regular season. The Wildcats defeated Warren Central and North Central last week to win a Sectional title. Lawrence North is the defending IHSAA Class 4A runner-up.
They are led by 5-foot-9 junior Jayla Smith, 5-foot-10 senior Katie Davidson and 5-foot-5 senior Kristian Young. Lawrence North has not published any statistics for this season.
About Ben Davis
Ben Davis is 13-11 this season (3-4 in Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference) and has won eight of their last ten games heading into the Decatur Central Regional. The Giants won their second consecutive Sectional title by defeating Roncalli and Decatur Central last week at Pike High School.
The Giants are led by 5-foot-10 senior Khera Goss who averages 15.6 points per game.
Brownsburg is looking to win the third IHSAA Girls' Basketball Regional championship in school history. The program's last Regional championship came back during the 1991 season.
The Bulldogs' last Regional appearance came in 2018 when the Bulldogs fell to eventual IHSAA Class 4A State champion Warren Central 58-50 in overtime.
The winner of the IHSAA Regional at Decatur will advance to the IHSAA Class 4A South Semi-State next Saturday. That game will be played at either Jasper High School or Jeffersonville High School.
Follow @bhsdogs on Twitter and stay posted to brownsburgbulldogs.com for updates and information from all 21 Brownsburg High School athletic programs.