By Keelen Barlow
The Brownsburg varsity girls' basketball team will take part in the 2020 Hendricks County Girls' Basketball Tournament this week at Tri-West Hendricks High School. First-round matchups are set for January 8 and the Semi-Final round will be played on January 10.
Third place and fifth-place games as well as the 2020 Hendricks County Girls' Basketball Tournament championship are set for January 11.
The Bulldogs will play Avon on January 9 at 7:30 pm to kick off their run in the county tournament. Brownsburg comes into the week with a 10-7 record (3-1 in Hoosier Crossroads Conference)
- Brownsburg is coming off a 56-50 win over IHSAA Class 3A No.8 Greensburg that snapped a four-game skid
- The Bulldogs are ranked 12 in this week's ICGSA Class 4A girls' basketball poll; Brownsburg is ranked No.14 in the IBCA Girls' Basketball Weekly Top-20 poll
- Brownsburg hasn't lost in their Hendricks County Tournament opener since the 2014-2015 season
- Mackenzie Stien's 17 points in the win over Greensburg was a season-high for her; that mark was also three off her career-high of 20 points
- Nine different players scored for the Bulldogs in their win over Greensburg; that is tied for the most of any single game this season
Hendricks County Tournament Field- Quick Hitters
The six teams in the Hendricks County tournament come in with a combined record of 55-35 this season. None of the teams are more than one game below .500 heading into the week. A pair of the teams, Brownsburg and Danville, are ranked in their respective class' ICGSA girls' basketball poll.
- 7-8 record this year (2-3 in Hoosier Crossroads Conference)
- Coming in on a 6-game skid after losing to Warren Central 57-53 in their last matchup
- Led by 6-foot senior Haley Nichols (13.6 ppg and 9.7 rpg) and 6-foot-1 junior Alex Richard (9.1 ppg and 9.2 rpg)
- 8-5 record this season (3-2 in the Indiana Crossroads Conference)
- Friday will be the Cadets first game in 24 days; their last game was against Monrovia on December 17
- Have for players who average at least 7 points per game this season
- 12-4 record this year (5-0 in the Sagamore Conference)
- Have scored the most points of any team in the Sagamore Conference
- Led by 6-foot senior Ella Collier (23.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.6 spg)
- 7-8 record this year (4-1 in the Mid-State Conference)
- Have lost six of their last ten games
- Led by sophomore Ellie Wilkerson (15.8 ppg and 6.5 rpg)
- 11-3 record this year (5-1 record in the Sagamore Conference)
- Have won five in a row and nine of their last ten games
- Have three sophomores who average double figures; Led by 5-foot-8 sophomore Kenna Kirby (20.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.6 apg and 3.5 spg)
Recent Tournament History
Brownsburg comes into the 2020 Hendricks County Girls' Basketball Tournament as the defending champs. The Bulldogs defeated Danville, Plainfield and Avon by an average of 21 points in the 2019 tournament en route to their tenth Hendricks County Championship since 2001.
The Bulldogs have won eight of the last twelve Hendricks County Tournament championships.
Brownsburg and Plainfield have combined to win the last twelve Hendricks County titles. Outside of the Bulldogs and Quakers, the last program to win a Hendricks County title was Avon in 2007.
Brownsburg, Avon and Plainfield have combined to win every Hendricks County Tournament Championship since 2001.
The Bulldogs will return to HCC play after the Hendricks County Tournament as they travel to take on No.4/4 Fishers on January 17. The matchup will tipoff a Boys' and Girls' varsity doubleheader at 6 p.m.
Follow @bhsdogs on Twitter and stay posted to brownsburgbulldogs.com for updates and information from all 21 Brownsburg High School athletic programs.